Just thought I would throw out a quick blog update, so that you didn’t think that I had fallen off the face of the planet. Actually, harvest is upon us and things are getting busy around here. This week we:
- need to clear an area for our new hay shed
- need to freeze more corn
- need to can more salsa and tomatoes
- finishing my Dad’s siding project
- county Farm Bureau annual meeting
- attended a funeral
- school functions/homework/etc.
- prepare for corn chopping
- get ready to wean cattle
- prepare for my trip with Katie to the Small Town 140 Conference in Hutchinson, KS!!! (I’ll be a presenter there!)
- prepare for a return trip to Rochester
- get ready for a super-huge, ginormous rummage sale next weekend
- get ready for Applefest
- get some freezer meals ready for the rest of harvest
Sounds simple, right?
But this little story had me giggling this morning, so let me share with you…
EJ (4), asked if he could eat some oatmeal for lunch. I didn’t have a problem with that at all, I mean, a simple, fast meal that dirties one dish and can be made in a minute? Sure, count me in! I had picked up some special instant oatmeal packages the last time we were in Aberdeen, so he grabbed one of those and away we went.
EJ’s job was to open the package and put it in a bowl. I add the water, we push the buttons on the microwave together and voila! A meal is served. But he had a bit of a problem when he opened the package.
“Mom, what are those?”
“Hmmm….well, it says that those are dinosaur eggs.”
“Mom, I don’t think I’m hungry any more.”
“Don’t you want dinosaur eggs in your belly?”
“No, they might eat me.”
Well, being the nice mom that I am, I only tormented him for a little bit, then explained that they were actually just like little jelly beans. I would’ve kept the ruse going longer, but I didn’t want to have to make something else for lunch! 😉